Pomegranate & Pear Salad
Alright, guys – one more salad recipe, then I’ll post the week two menu and groceries tomorrow, and then I’ll shut up about cleansing for a good long while. In fact, I have two decidedly non-cleanse-friendly recipes coming up in the next week – think comforting Italian, then think Valentine’s Day planning. I’m excited already. Not that I’m going to give up all my cleanse habits – on the contrary, I plan to continue eating a lot of salads and veggie-based dishes for at least the near future. It’s just that I’m sneaking some indulgences back in there too.
But first thing’s first – salad. This salad is from the November issue of Food and Wine, and was actually developed by chef/blogger/recent-cookbook-author Aida Mollenkamp (check out her new book, Keys to the Kitchen, if you haven’t already). It’s very simple and refreshing and sweet, with juicy pomegranate seeds and fresh pears, just the thing for when you’re not feeling too much like eating a traditional salad but want to get your greens in. Making the dressing, which uses pomegranate molasses, honey, and mustard, is a must. The only thing I changed was the ratios of the pomegranate gremolata to the greens and of the greens to the dressing – the original recipe was made to serve 10, and I certainly can’t eat 10 servings worth of the same salad before it goes bad. I also like my salads a little bit fruit-heavy, so that’s reflected below.
Arugula Salad with Pears and Pomegranate Gremolata
Recipe adapted slightly from Food and Wine magazine. Serves 4.
- 1/2 c. pomegranate arils
- 2 TBS fresh, finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 small shallot, peeled and finely minced
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated orange zest
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 TBS pomegranate molasses
- 1 TBS red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard
- 5 oz. arugula, washed and dried
- 1-2 ripe Bosc pears, thinly sliced
- To make the gremolata, combine the pomegranate, parsley, shallot, and orange zest in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Make the dressing by vigorously whisking together the olive oil, pomegranate molasses, vinegar, honey, and mustard. Season to taste with salt. Pour the dressing over the greens and toss to coat. Divide the greens among 4 plates, and top each plate with a few slices of pear and 2 heaping TBS of the pomegranate gremolata. Serve immediately.